Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Let's get ready to ruuuuuuuuumble!

In this corner, weighing in at (unintelligible) pounds, the loving, nurturing, compassionate June Cleaver. And in this corner, weighing in at (unintelligible) pounds, the oblivious, selfish, neglectful Peg Bundy!

Having 3 kids, being a wife and maintaining the home - and everything that transpires in it- makes it a flip of the coin as to which mom my kids get. Of course, they prefer the adoring June Cleaver. But, by now, they are very aware of a few of the well known triggers. (Aware does not necessarily mean able to avoid.) Let’s further examine what wakes up Peg Bundy.

- Talking to me while American Idol is on (I didn't say these would be good reasons. I just said it wakes Peg up.)
- Also, Grey’s Anatomy (Lord help them if McSteamy is in the shower and they say “Mom” – the moment is ruined. LOL)
- The entire ABC Wednesday night TV line up
- Bringing me a form to sign at 9:01 pm (The rule is nothing after 9:00)
- Giving me a form to sign as I am driving them to school
- Asking for field trip money/permission slip the day it’s due
- Waiting until after 9 to attempt to wash something they want to wear the next day (Guess who they want to put it in the dryer?)
- When they fight with each other
- Saying “I love you, Mommay (yes, it sounds like Mom-may in their sneaky, loving voice.) This is a dead give away because it alerts me that after Mom, is “May I”. So I guess “MomMay” is appropriate. Great substitutes would be “MomCan” and “MomWill”. I hold out hope for “MomPlease”.
- A phone call from a teacher, ISS (In School Suspension), Bus referral. (These events actually metamorhpasize Peg into the Greek Monster, Medusa.)


All is not lost. June Cleaver still makes guest appearances. Lately, she has been getting her beauty rest, but she's around. And what brings out June?

- When they are sick
- When they get good grades on a test & their report cards
- When I see a hint (even if it a slight nano spec) of kindness for their siblings
- When one of them asks me if they can give their money to a homeless person on the corner or any person in need
- When I come home and chores are done and I never even had to ask
- When they do something I asked after the first request. Hell, on the 3rd request is still appreciated. ;)
- When a friendship or a relationship has ended and they are emotionally distraught (Although, this may or may not be permanent. Sometimes I’m still pep talking them and they have already texted the person involved and all is well again)
- When they hug me and say “I love you, Mommy” and don’t ask me for anything.
(Not to be confused with Mommay. All kidding aside, there is a distinct difference. I’ll video tape it one day and post it.)

- When they repeat a quote I once said to them because they applied it to life. It reminds me that not only do they listen, but that they “get it”!
- When they have friends over and tell them that I make the best “whatever”. It makes me want to cook/bake. (At some point between the smile with pride and the putting the ingredients on the counter, Peg usually interrupts and we end up at Cold Stone or Marble Slab. Hmmm…maybe the kids know this and set me up.)

I love both "moms" in me. June adores her kids, wants them to be successful, happy, loving, compassionate people. But, Peg is teaching them that you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. Peg gets to have lunch with friends, get a pedicure or manicure, go on date night with hubby, or just have quiet & alone time.

The middle schoolers are keeping Peg busy lately. They have even brought Medusa out to play a few times. But, June is holding her own. Most days, June sneaks up behind Peg and chokes her out with her apron strap. Today on the other hand, June is face down in the dirt while Peg is standing tall above her, lightly digging her stiletto heel into her back. I am not sure when Peg will get a good nights sleep, but she is strong. She can stand her ground--- and on June’s back---until these kids get it together.

I just heard a door slam, a kid cry and a cell phone ring tone (a cell phone that should be OFF). After just one round, the clear winner – and ultimate champion until these kids get back in line – Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg Bundy!

Enjoy this article while it’s up. Michael Buffer is pretty serious about his trademark “Let’s get ready to rumble” being used. His lawyer may send me a cease and desist letter any day now. LOL


(I wrote this several months ago. Barbara Billingsley, the actress who played June Cleaver, just passed away this weekend. I thought it was an appropriate time to post it from my personal blog.)

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya, sister! My kids (and husband) are never sure which "me" they will be getting. Totally understand!

    ReplyDelete