Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Married to MacGyver

When I was given the opportunity to take this blogging gig a little more public, the family had some rules. I can't use their real names and there were certain topics off limits. Understood. I came up with a nickname for hubs--and it's totally appropriate. I married MacGyver. We joke that he could take gum and a paperclip and fix anything. This story actually happened in 2008 but it's a good way to introduce MacGyver. (If you've followed my personal blog for the past year or 2, you'll remember this.)

Since April 1995, a service repair technician has never entered our residence. Since that time frame is essentially my entire adult life, I don't think I was always aware of the oddity of it. Things are always breaking. The car, the plumbing, appliances, a piece of jewelry. It's life. But, MacGyver inherited this gene from his father. It is called the "I'm not too proud to pay someone to fix it, but I am too proud to admit that I couldn't fix it" gene.

I remember wanting a new stove. And it FINALLY stopped working! I was doing the "I get to make a big purchase" dance. But there he stood.....stopping me. Calming me down with the "I've got this" look. After making a few phone calls, he said "Hon, it is just the heating element. Go pick one up." Sixteen measly dollars and a gold mine gene pool discarded my dreams of getting the new "boil water in 60 seconds" stove. So, there are drawbacks. But there is money saved. And then---then there are just plain old Jeff Foxworthy moments.

Friday night we smelled fire. We figured out it was coming from the dryer. (Seriously, I have wanted a new washer and dryer since seeing an episode of Extreme home makeover...so my feet are starting to do the dance. Surely MacGyver can't repair it after a fire??!!) He spends some time with his BFF, Google, and finds out what is wrong with it. He then proceeds to inform me that he found the parts online for like $13. UGH! But, they won't be here until Wednesday. We have 3 kids and I'll be inundated with laundry if I wait 5 days. (I was being dramatic. Over selling it. Unfortunately, I can rarely get MacGyver to buy what I'm selling---especially when it comes to me getting a break on house work.) I tell him I need a dryer ASAP! We just can't wait. (At this point, I am still just hoping for the shopping approval.) He gives a blank stare......................still staring......................and BAM! He takes off. This is the moment even my feet start to sense the shopping dance should come to an end.

He is in the garage cutting one of those mini sized skate boards. I used to laugh at him, but not anymore. I learned long ago (probably 1998) that everything can be repaired. The dryer bearings went bad and the drum could no longer turn. It didn't have any support. HE PLACED THE FLIPPIN' SKATEBOARD UNDER THE DRUM TO SUPPORT IT!!!!! So, now, not only does it work, it supports a heavier load! LMAO I still want a new washer & dryer.

I can hear Jeff Foxworthy saying it now. "If yeeeeew have yer dryer rigged with a skateboard.......you miiiiiiiiiight be a redneck." Don't get me wrong. I completely adore MacGyver. But, momma would really like to go into Sears and actually buy the appliance. Not the wrench to fix the old one. I also know that we save enough money to make it worth it. And that's a good thing. Especially when we have to run out and replace the kids skateboards. ;)

That's just how I see it. But maybe it's my misperception.

For your entertainment, and for those that may think I just have a wild imagination, I am adding a picture of my new GE Profile Tony Hawk edition dryer. ;)


2 comments:

  1. OMG I have had the exact same experience! Since 3-7-1995 I have never needed a mechanic, plumber, body shop or handy man! He does it all and he does it for everyone too! My mom and dad, family, friends and who ever asks! I used to complain about this characteristic. I used to hate it. NOW I SEE your perspective and I realize, I AM WRONG! I now truly adore him and I am truly thankful for all he does. He saves us money and we never have to worry. I thank you for opening my eyes to having such a wonderful husband who we affectionately call Mr. Fix it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the few lucky one's that are married to this rare breed. I have a "Handy Man" of my own. In the end I'm with you...yes it saved TONS of money...but I want the washer and dryer that will not only wash and dry my clothes but the one that will fold, hang, and deliver to each kid's dresser at the touch of a button. Hang in there sweets...one day...one day.... Loved your story BTW and the pic made me literally LOL :)

    ReplyDelete